Friday, October 25, 2013

Thought Catalog: A Compilation of Everything You Need to Know and Want to Know


          Thoughtcatalog.com: the site that enticed me like no other. Thoughcatalog was founded on the year 2010 by Chris Lavergne and is said to be an online magazine, but for me it is the blog/website that really caught my attention. The said online magazine is composed of millions of entries from bloggers that shares their thoughts or personal experiences on certain topics like love, life lessons, harsh truths, and even the most random things you could think of. Unlike other websites or blogs such as pinterest and 9gag, I have to admit thoughtcatalog is my favorite. The moment I open a new tab in my browser, it’s usually thoughtcatalog. The one thing that this blog has that no other blogs or websites possess is the diversity and relatability of its content. Since blogs are usually created by one person each or most sites such as 9gag focuses on one theme - to make people 'gag' - after a while they get boring and uninteresting. But since thoughtcatalog is a compilation of thoughts from different bloggers with the broadest range of topics, it would indeed be the last blog/site standing.

        Each thought has its own specific topic and admittedly after being a constant reader from 9gag and pinterest before and thoughtcatalog now, I can honestly say that thoughtcatalog is not just a mere time-killer or a mood-lifter but it is an eye-opening site. 9gag in honest contradiction, it rarely teaches me anything. It is mostly just a time-killer and a good laugh from time to time. It doesn't make me any smarter or wiser than I currently am now. Pinterest as another contradiction is just a site composed of compilation of pictures organized in dashboards and nowadays is flooded with mostly food recipes. Yes, pinterest can teach me how to be a good cook but nothing more. With thoughtcatalog it’s different. It allows me to reflect on my life - the posts or the thoughts of the bloggers are never dull or useless. Each and every one of the posted thoughts either gives me realizations or leaves me reflecting on certain things and issues concerning my own life. Some examples of posts that really made me pause for a few minutes (sometimes even hours or days) and reflect on my life would be:


        Based on the titles itself I was already interested to read them, not just to kill time but because they contain thoughts that can make me a better person (as the title of the first link states) and give me epiphanies that will motivate me to make a change for the good. With the seriousness aside, this site is also hilarious, relatable, inspirational, and just hands down awesome. Here are other few examples; the titles alone will speak for themselves:

          Even though every single one of us thinks differently and have contradicting interests, thoughtcatalog will surely be a site that anyone will love due to the diversity of each story, list, thought, and anecdote that have been compiled. With thoughtcatalog there will never be a dull thought in site, and that is why I love it – I can really relate to the thoughts of the bloggers and their anecdotes teaches me things that I would have never known or experienced had I not read about them. Since the blog/website is composed from the varying subjects or thoughts from a wide range of bloggers, I will never grow tired of visiting thoughtcatalog and at the same time it because it teaches me everything I need to know and want to know about life: from love and loss, all the way to the inconvenient truths of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment